What does Dr. Dello Russo look for during evaluations?
Here are special techniques used in the diagnosis of eye diseases:
• Campimetry is the definition of the central field of vision, often on color. This method can be used to diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma, diseases of the retina and optic nerve.
• Using a ultrasound examination of the eyeball (ultrasound) is a popular method of research that has gained popularity due to its efficiency and the absence of complications. This study is used to diagnose eye diseases such as retinal detachment, eye tumors and eye sockets, a foreign body.
• An electrophysiological study (EPS) evaluates the condition of the retina, optic nerve, and the cerebral cortex. This method is widely used in the diagnosis of diseases of the retina and optic nerve.
• Tonography is a check of intraocular pressure (IOP) over time. The procedure takes about 4-5 minutes.
• Keratotopogramma is a study that produces the cornea’s "topographical map". It is carried out before laser operations on the cornea with suspected keratoconus and keratoglobus.
• Pachymetry is the determination of the thickness of the cornea. This study is required for laser operations.
• Fluorescent angiography is one of the methods, which show the state of the retinal vessels. Research is performed by intravenous injection of contrast material, and a series of shots in the vessels of the retina.
• OCT optical coherence tomography is used to assess the state of the retina and optic nerve. It is used to diagnose eye diseases such as degeneration and retinal detachment, glaucoma, and diseases of the optic nerve.
• Gonioscopy is a procedure in which an ophthalmologist examines the angle of the anterior chamber through a special lens. This is also used to screen for glaucoma.
• The Schirmer is a study that indicates tear production. A special strip is placed right on the lower eyelid so it can be soaked by the patient’s tears. This test is conducted to diagnose diseases such as dry eye syndrome.
• Examination of the fundus with the Goldmann lens is a method used to evaluate the peripheral regions of the retina that are not visible during normal fundus examination. It is used to diagnose eye diseases such as retinal detachment and retinal degeneration.
More information about methods to diagnose eye can be found by visiting Dello Russo Laser Vision. You can also call us to schedule an appointment at (800) EYE–CARE.